Specialize Your Education Career
Prepare to Teach English Language Learners
Bethel University’s online English as a New Language Licensure program prepares you to help non-native speakers improve their English skills and thrive in the classroom. Coursework for the ESL certification online (ENL Licensure) program emphasizes the unique needs of those for whom English is not a first language. You will gain valuable ENL experience and build a toolkit of resources for multiple teaching contexts such as push-in/pull-out and dual-language immersion.
Featuring a curriculum of key topics like ENL theories, leaner methods, linguistics and more, this ESL teacher certification program prepares you to work with English language learners and to obtain either elementary or secondary licensure. It is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation and can be completed in just one year. In this program, you will learn from seasoned faculty who offer the personal support and subject-matter expertise you need for success.
The fully online format of the ESL certification online program allows you to study on a flexible schedule that works for you. Upon completion, you will have the knowledge and skills to make a difference in the lives of ENL students and take the next step in your career.
Bethel University’s English as a New Language program, which leads to licensure is accredited by the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation. Bethel is regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission to grant bachelor’s and master’s degrees. The Higher Learning Commission is one of six regional accrediting agencies in the United States. Institutional accreditation evaluates an entire institution and accredits it as a whole.
Begin Your Bethel Journey
Program DetailsLeads to Licensure
Bethel’s English as a New Language Licensure program (ESL online) features a required core of teacher education coursework, which includes 12 of credits of licensure coursework.
- EDUC 515: Foundations of ENL: Theories, Laws, and Processes (3)
- EDLT 521: English Language Learning (3)
- EDUC 533: Elementary English Learner Methods (3)
- EDUC 534: Secondary English Learner Methods (3)
- EDUC 540: Introduction to Linguistics (3)
Admission RequirementsCandidates for Bethel’s online English as a New Language Licensure program will need to submit the following:
- Online graduate application.
- Official transcripts for any undergraduate or graduate work.
- A 300-word (or more) autobiography, including information about the candidate’s recent work in education, reason for seeking entry into the program and significant events in his or her career. Candidates should define their character in terms of basic values, commitment to graduate studies, their philosophy and their worldview.
- An updated resumé.
- Two letters of recommendation. A form is sent electronically for candidates to share.
- A current Indiana teaching license.*
Candidates must also schedule an interview prior to admission.
* If a candidate’s license is expired, he or she may renew through the course of study.
Tuition and Fees
Bethel has long been touted for its value. We were ranked number 2 on Washington Monthly’s Best Bang for the Buck – Midwest list, listed as one of the 50 Best Value Christian colleges and have made it to the top tier of U.S. News & World Report’s Best Regional Universities – Midwest list for 15 consecutive years.
|What will my degree cost?|
|Full Program Total||$5,475|
|Full Program Tuition||$410 per credit hour||$4,920|
|Full Program Fees||$185 (full time student)||$555|
The college has a monthly installment plan available through Nelnet Campus Commerce. Enrollment can be completed online by accessing the student billing link through MyBethel or by calling 800.609.8056. Students will be charged an enrollment fee of $40.
Earning an ESL certification online prepares graduates for career advancement in roles such as the following. Career information from PayScale.com.
ESL teachers are responsible for teaching the English language to students who are not native speakers. They help students speak, read, write and comprehend English, as well as understand American culture. The median salary for this role is $41,423.
Learn more about this program and other online academic opportunities at Bethel. Once you complete this form, here’s what you can expect from us:
- A friendly phone call. We’ll contact you within 24 hours, ready to answer all of your questions.
- Personalized treatment. You’ll get immediate access to your own dedicated and knowledgeable enrollment counselor. They’ll ask you more about your goals at Bethel, and walk you through everything you need to know to apply.